Job Class: Bacteriologist 2
- Who May Apply: This vacancy is open for bids and for all qualified job seekers simultaneously . Bidders will be considered through 08/09/2022
- Date Posted : 08/03/2022
- Closing Date : 08/15/2022
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit : Minnesota Department of Health (MDH)
- Division/Unit : Public Health Laboratory / Microbiology Unit
- Work Shift/Work Hours : Day Shift / 8:00am - 4:30pm
- Days of Work : Monday - Friday / Rotating Weekend Shifts are required
- Travel Required : No
- Salary Range: $22.94 - $33.30/hourly; $47,899 - $69,530/annually
- Classified Status : Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union : 214 - Professional Employees (MAPE)
- Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
The MDH Public Health Laboratory provides many services that help keep Minnesotans safe. The Public Health Laboratory is looking for an enthusiastic individual to perform complex diagnostic testing and analysis in the Infectious Disease Lab for the Microbiology unit. This position will conduct laboratory testing specialties such as Bacteriology (including Mycobacteriology) and Mycology. This position will utilize microbiology techniques and specialized molecular diagnostic assays to detect pathogens, perform antibiotic susceptibility testing, and characterize human infectious diseases. Additionally, the position provides capacity and general support to the Microbiology Unit and consultation to outside partners and collaborators.
All positions within the MDH Public Health Lab work to cultivate an inclusive work environment for all, with respect to diversity and equity.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Clinical Laboratory Science, Medical Laboratory Science, Microbiology, Biology, or a related field.
- One year of professional diagnostic testing experience in a public health, hospital-based or clinical-based laboratory setting.
Additionally, per Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) accreditation regulations, the following education and experience must be documented on resume and/or transcript:
- Education: 60 semester hours including either 24 semester hours of medical laboratory technology courses or 24 semester hours of science courses (6 hours of chemistry; 6 hours of biology; and 12 hours in chemistry, biology or medical laboratory technology, or any combination)
- Training: Completion of an approved/accredited clinical laboratory or medical laboratory training program, which may be included in the 60 semester hours specified above or three months of documented laboratory training in each specialty in which the individual performs high complexity testing.
Knowledge/Skills to be assessed in the interview:
- Ability to prepare comprehensive work reports and interpret test results.
- Ability to use computers, microscopes, biological safety cabinets, and molecular detection equipment.
- Knowledge of the principles, techniques, quality, and practices in clinical bacteriology (including mycobacteriology) and mycology, such as examination of specimens using classic microbiology techniques to isolate and identify pathogenic organisms.
- Clinical laboratory experience in specialty areas including broth microdilution, disk diffusion, and ETEST antimicrobial susceptibility testing.
- Experience using MALDI-TOF for bacterial and fungal identification.
- Experience with molecular biology methods such as polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing and whole genome sequencing.
- Knowledge of CLIA rules and regulations and quality management systems (QMS).
- Certification as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) or equivalent (e.g. Medical Technologist)
Precise hand dexterity is required to utilize laboratory tools to manipulate bacteria and a variety of pipettes for testing assays.
The positions may require occasional transport of packages weighing up to 20 pounds from a cart to the storage location.
Occasionally may ascend/descend a step stool or bend/crouch to store and retrieve supplies.
This position requires successful completion of a background check.
Why Work For Us
Come work for one of the best public health systems in the nation and you will contribute to our mission to protect, maintain and improve the health of all Minnesotans. We are working hard to achieve our vision for health equity in Minnesota, where all communities are thriving and all people have what they need to be healthy. Our collaborative, mission-driven work environment is a major factor in promoting a high level of employee health awareness, employee longevity and job satisfaction.
We offer a competitive benefits package including employee and family health and dental insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, health promotion programs, pre-tax benefits, vacation leave, sick leave, paid holidays, deferred compensation, retirement benefits, and more!
How to Apply
Select "Apply for Job" at the top of this page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 .
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers .
If you have questions about the position, contact Matthew Leo at email@example.com
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation for an interview, you may contact the Department of Health ADA Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you are a Connect 700 applicant, please email your certificate and the Job posting to Matthew Leo at email@example.com by the position close date.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Please indicate what assistance you need.