Deputy General Counsel
Job Class: Human Services Manager 4
Working Title: Deputy General Counsel
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 10/29/2019
Closing Date: 11/18/2019
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Human Services Dept / DHS Manager
Division/Unit: DHS-Central Office / OPR Legal Management Office
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift/8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Days of Work: Monday-Friday
Travel Required: No
Salary Range: $41.40 - $59.27/hourly; $86,443 - $123,755/annually
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 220 - Manager/Unrep
FLSA Status: Exempt - Executive
Connect 700 Program Eligible : Yes
As the Deputy General Counsel you will provide the Department of Human Services ("Department") with legal expertise to ensure the Department's compliance with all state and federal laws. You will perform the following legal services:
- Provide legal advice to Department managers, directors and executive management on a variety of complex legal issues;
- Assist the Chief General Counsel in coordinating and supervising legal work throughout the Department;
- Assume the duties of the Chief General Counsel in case of absence;
- Coordinate with the Attorney General's Office ("AGO") regarding the preparation and conduct of the Department's litigation;
- Collaborate with other Department staff concerning implementation of and compliance with Department legal policies;
- Provide legal training on a variety of topics to Department staff;
- Serve as a back-up to the Department Privacy Official.
- Provide legal expertise and advice throughout the Department.
- Coordinate with the Attorney General's Office (AGO) regarding the preparation and conduct of the Department's litigation.
- Assist the Chief General Counsel in coordinating and supervising legal work throughout the Department.
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) from an accredited law school;
- Active license and in good standing to practice law in the State of Minnesota;
- Minimum of six (6) years' recent experience as a practicing attorney;
- At least three (3) years' recent experience supervising legal work;
- Knowledge of federal and state laws related to human services programs;
- Experience conducting legal research, writing, and analysis and providing legal advice to executives or senior management within the last six (6) years;
- Experience with policy development and implementation;
- Experience developing and delivering legal training to executive management and staff;
- Experience working with state and federal regulators;
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of the judicial and legislative process; and
- General understanding of the Department's mission and programs.
- Education or certification in the field of data privacy, such as: Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM), Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP), or an equivalent certification.
To facilitate proper crediting, please ensure that your resume clearly describes your experience in the areas listed and indicates the beginning and ending month and year for each job held.
REFERENCE/BACKGROUND CHECKS - The Department of Human Services will conduct reference checks to verify job-related credentials and criminal background check prior to appointment.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com . Please indicate what assistance you need.