General Counsel 1 – Deputy General Counsel 1
Job Class: General Counsel 1
Working Title: Deputy General Counsel 1
- Who May Apply: This vacancy is open for bids and for all qualified job seekers simultaneously. Bidders will be considered through 08/09/2022
- Date Posted : 08/03/2022
- Closing Date : 08/23/2022
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit : Minnesota Department of Health (MDH)
- Division/Unit : Executive Office / Legal Affairs
- Work Shift/Work Hours : 8:00AM - 4:30PM
- Days of Work : Monday - Friday
- Travel Required : No
- Salary Range: $45.58 - $65.26/hourly; $95,171 - $136,262/annually
- Classified Status : Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union : 220 - Managerial Plan
- FLSA Status : Exempt - Executive
- Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
This position exists to provide the Minnesota Department of Health with legal expertise to support the Department's work by ensuring compliance with state and federal data laws, maintaining a system of records management, and coordinating litigation involving the Department. The individual in this position will: provide legal advice to the Department on a variety of complex legal issues, including data privacy; manage a team of staff; assist the General Counsel in coordinating and managing the Department's legal advice and litigation; collaborate with other Department staff concerning implementation of Department legal policies and best practices; coordinate with the Attorney General's Office regarding the preparation and conduct of the Department's litigation; supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff; manage the development of legal training on a variety of topics to Department staff; coordinate and complete special projects as assigned by the General Counsel; supervise and serve as a back-up to the Department data practices attorney; and assume the duties of the General Counsel in their absence.
The location of this position is St. Paul. This position will have the option for telework based on business needs and up to supervisor discretion. Non-reimbursable travel to the position office location may be required.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) from an ABA accredited law school.
- Must be licensed to practice law in the State of Minnesota and current with continuing legal education requirements.
- Seven years as a licensed attorney practicing in Minnesota which must include conducting legal research, writing, and analysis (judicial clerkship experience will count toward this criteria).
- Experience overseeing litigation and litigation discovery.
- Experience providing legal advice to a public agency on data privacy compliance issues, including the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act.
- Experience supervising data practices act request processing and fulfillment.
- Experience handling issues related to state and federal laws as they relate to MDH programs and services.
- Knowledge of records management requirements and processes in a state agency setting.
- Experience working with the Minnesota Attorney General's Office and/or State government agencies.
- Demonstrated project management and organizational skills.
This position requires successful completion of a background check.
Why Work For Us
Come work for one of the best public health systems in the nation and you will contribute to our mission to protect, maintain and improve the health of all Minnesotans. We are working hard to achieve our vision for health equity in Minnesota, where all communities are thriving and all people have what they need to be healthy. Our collaborative, mission-driven work environment is a major factor in promoting a high level of employee health awareness, employee longevity and job satisfaction.
We offer a competitive benefits package including employee and family health and dental insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, health promotion programs, pre-tax benefits, vacation leave, sick leave, paid holidays, deferred compensation, retirement benefits, and more!
How to Apply
Select "Apply for Job" at the top of this page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 .
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers .
If you have questions about the position, contact Ann Ward at email@example.com or 651-259-5332 .
If you are a Connect 700 applicant, please email your certificate and the Job posting ID# to Ann Ward at firstname.lastname@example.org by the position close date.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com . Please indicate what assistance you need.