Human Svcs Prog Consultant – Budget Manager
Job Class: Human Services Program Consultant
Working Title: Human Svcs Prog Consultant - Budget Manager
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 10/07/2021
- Closing Date: 10/20/2021
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Human Services Dept / MAPE DHS Central Office
- Division/Unit: DHS-Central Office / Budget Analysis Division
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
- Days of Work: Monday-Friday
- Travel Required: No
- Salary Range: $30.59 - $45.36/hourly; $63,871 - $94,711/annually
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 214 - MN Assoc of Professional Empl/MAPE
- FLSA Status: Exempt - Administrative
- Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
As a Budget Manager you will manage fiscal analysis and budget reporting relating to human service programs within the Department of Human Services (DHS) for the Budget Analysis Division (BAD). This position is responsible for developing and evaluating legislative proposals with a fiscal impact. This position designs, develops and presents regular and ad hoc budget reports for BAD and senior management. You will be responsible for development, implementation, and ongoing maintenance of procedures necessary to conform to fiscal policy in the Department of Human Services budget. In this position you will also manage the coordination of the department's biennial and supplemental budget, bonding process, fiscal note process and special projects as assigned.
- Manage the development and preparation of the Department's biennial budget, supplemental budget, and responses to budget-related inquiries received during legislative session at the direction of the Budget Director and the Chief Financial Officer.
- Determine and implement agency-wide policies related to financial transactions. This includes instances where policies don't currently exist and when existing policies are not adequate.
- Develop and oversee implementation of department policy through fiscal and policy analysis.
- Review and approve departmental fiscal notes, ensuring consistency in fiscal assumptions and implementation of fiscal note guidelines.
- Manage departmental bonding proposals, ensuring consistency in assumptions and implementation of bonding guidelines.
3 years of specialized professional experience in public finance, budgeting, or policy analysis. Experience must demonstrate:
- Experience assessing the requirements of applicable federal, state laws, and rules, and developing policy recommendations and procedures to assure program accountability
- Experience obtaining, processing, analyzing, and interpreting fiscal data
- Demonstrated analytical and critical thinking skills
- Establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with coworkers, supervisor, senior staff, and external parties. Proactive and positive approach to problem solving.
- Analyze complex issues, identify solutions along with evaluation of options, and make sound recommendations that are in the agency's best interest.
- Complete fiscal analyses that require use of complicated data sets, attention to detail, legal interpretation, and advanced use of Excel.
Bachelors or higher in public administration, public affairs, human services or accounting may substitute for one of year of experience.
- Our employees are dedicated to ensuring cultural responsiveness. Preferred candidates will have a variety of experiences working effectively with others from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Strong interest in both budgeting and in human servicesOral and written communications, problem solving, and human relations skills
- The ability to work effectively in group settings with individuals of varying levels of authority both inside and outside the department
- Ability to clearly communicate complex financial information to agency senior management and other clientele
To facilitate proper crediting, please ensure that your resume clearly describes your experience in the areas listed and indicates the beginning and ending month and year for each job held.
REFERENCE/BACKGROUND CHECKS - The Department of Human Services will conduct reference checks to verify job-related credentials and criminal background check prior to appointment
Why Work For Us
WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE! The Minnesota Department of Human Services impacts the lives of 1.7 million people every year, helping them meet their basic needs so they can achieve their highest potential.
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The Department of Human Services is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age .
How to Apply
Select "Apply for Job" at the top of this page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 .For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers .
If you have questions about the position, contact Dave Greeman at email@example.com
If you are a Connect 700 applicant, please email your certificate and the Job posting ID#/number to Toni Shobe at Tonika.Shobe@State.MN.US by the position close date.
If you are an individual with a disability and need an ADA accommodation for an interview, you may contact the Department of Human Services' ADA Coordinator at 651-431-4945 or DHS_ADA@state.mn.us for assistance
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Please indicate what assistance you need.