School Health Nurse – Public Health Nursing Advisor Senior
Job Class: Public Health Nursing Advisor Senior
Working Title: School Health Nurse
Who May Apply: This vacancy is open for bids and for all qualified job seekers simultaneously. Bidders will be considered through 11/16/2020
Date Posted: 11/10/2020
Closing Date: 11/19/2020
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Minnesota Department of Health (MDH)
Division/Unit: Child & Family Health (CFH) / Maternal Child Health (MCH)
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift / 8:00am - 4:30pm
Days of Work: Monday - Friday
Travel Required: Yes
Salary Range: $33.93 - $48.28/hourly; $70,845 - $100,808/annually
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 205 - Minnesota Nurses Association (MNA)
Anticipated Start Date: 12/02/2020
FLSA Status: Exempt - Professional
Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
This position exists to provide leadership and support for the design, implementation and evaluation of state and local policies and programs that address the health needs of children, youth & adolescents in school settings and early childhood education programs to promote healthy development and safety which enhances positive educational outcomes. The position also supports the Maternal Child Health (MCH) Section's mission of providing statewide leadership and public health guidance and information essential for promoting, improving and maintaining the health and well-being of women, children and families throughout Minnesota.
Specific Job Responsibilities include the following:
- Provide technical assistance, education/training, consultation on health and wellness best practices'/procedures and policies to local public health departments, schools, state and national agencies that address the needs of children in schools and early childhood education settings
- Assess and monitor school health status and behaviors
- Identify, develop and/disseminate information and resources about best practices to assure optimal health/wellness for children and youth in school and early childhood settings
- Maintain and enhance professional expertise in school health, leadership, communication, grants management, education training and other job-related knowledge and skills
This position requires the following credentials and experience:
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in Minnesota
- Minnesota Registration/Certification as a Public Health Nurse
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing and 3 years' experience as a public health nurse, public school nurse, public health nurse educator or equivalent public health experience OR Bachelor's Degree in Nursing and 4 years' experience as a Registered Nurse or professional nursing experience
- Experience must include public health nursing supervision or administration or public health program management or administration
- Master's Degree in Nursing, Public Health or related field
- Advanced knowledge of school health and policy and practice issues including nursing practice, school health and safety, school health research and best practice models, wellness, healthy development, resiliency and public health nursing concepts
- Knowledge of local, state and national resources for school health and child development; cultural issues, health disparities, and vulnerable populations as they relate to children and their families; and local, state and national health programs and planning activities and the ability to incorporate these into consultation, technical assistance and requests.
- Advanced knowledge of child and adolescent growth and development, including brain development;
- Ability to apply leadership, management, interpersonal and communication skills to enhance and increase local public health and MDH capacity to perform the core function of public health in a rapidly changing health care and public health environment.
- Knowledge of public health principles and practice, research principles and practices including experience with research and use of data
This position requires successful completion of the following:
- Valid driver's license and the ability to travel independently by automobile within the State of Minnesota.
- Must successfully pass a background check.
Why Work For Us
Come work for one of the best public health systems in the nation and you will contribute to our mission to protect, maintain and improve the health of all Minnesotans. We are working hard to achieve our vision for health equity in Minnesota, where all communities are thriving and all people have what they need to be healthy. Our collaborative, mission-driven work environment is a major factor in promoting a high level of employee health awareness, employee longevity and job satisfaction.
We offer a competitive benefits package including employee and family health and dental insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, health promotion programs, pre-tax benefits, vacation leave, sick leave, paid holidays, deferred compensation, retirement benefits, and more!
How to Apply
Click "Apply" at the bottom of the page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Rich Austin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a Connect 700 applicant, please email your certificate and the Job posting ID 42466 to Rich Austin at email@example.com by the end of the position close date.
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation for an interview, you may contact the Department of Health ADA Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com. Please indicate what assistance you need.